City Attorney

The Office of the City Attorney provides legal advice and representation to the Mayor, City Council, City Manager, and other City officials and employees on a broad range of issues. The Office represents the City, including its officials and employees, in litigation filed by or against them. Upon request, the Office provides legal opinions to City officials and employees on City-related matters.

How is the City Attorney selected?
The City Attorney is appointed by and reports to the City Council.​

Does the City Attorney’s Office represent private citizens?
​The Monroe City Attorney's Office does not represent individuals in private legal matters and cannot provide legal advice to individuals.  Attorneys in this office represent the City of Monroe’s elected officials and staff, City Departments, and the City's boards and commissions.

Whom do I contact if I need a lawyer?
Our office cannot refer you to a specific attorney or endorse any attorney in private practice.  However, if you are in need of legal representation for a private matter, you may call the North Carolina Lawyer Referral Service at 1-800-662-7660 to obtain a referral.

City Legal Resources


State Legal Resources


Federal Legal Resources


Bar Associations