Streets & Sidewalks

Street Maintenance

In Monroe there are State streets, which are maintained by the North Carolina Department of Transportation (NCDOT), City streets, which are maintained by our Street Division, and a few private streets. Our current Powell Bill map identifies who owns and maintains streets within Monroe’s city limits.

Verify whether your concern is on a City or State maintained street with our Monroe Powell Bill map (PDF)

The Powell Bill program is administered by NCDOT to provide funding to qualified, incorporated municipalities. Powell Bill funding comes from the State Highway Fund and is appropriated based on population and how many miles of streets the municipality is responsible for and can be used to resurface, repair, maintain and construct City streets.

The Street Division maintains and repairs City streets, curb and gutter, sidewalks and our storm drainage system. For minor repairs to existing City streets and sidewalks, please contact the Street Division at (704) 282-4667 or fill out our public issue form.

For highway repairs and traffic signal issues on State streets please report to NCDOT at 1-877-368-4968 or via their online request website.

RESURFACING PROJECT UPDATE: Resurfacing in Monroe is scheduled to begin Wednesday, May 29th as part of the 2024 road resurfacing and repair project. All streets will remain open throughout the repairs, but will be narrowed to one lane of traffic at times. Motorists are encouraged to avoid these areas during construction and take alternative routes when possible.

View the full list of streets and parking lots scheduled for resurfacing. 

If you have any questions about the resurfacing work, please contact the City of Monroe Engineering Department at (704) 282-4587.


The Engineering Department is responsible for major roadway and sidewalk improvement projects. Currently City policy for new curbs, gutters and sidewalks along existing City streets outside of subdivisions requires that improvements cover a minimum of one street block. Property owners adjacent to requested improvement projects are required to cover the cost of all materials and provide any necessary easements.

Requests for City roadway or sidewalk improvements, please call Engineering at (704) 282-4515.


The City of Monroe maintains signs within City right-of-ways for the purpose of traffic control, displaying street names, hazard identification, and enforcing other regulations as well as setting up temporary signs indicating roadwork detours, and special event road closures.

Report damaged or missing signs on City streets to the Street Division at (704) 282-4667 or fill out our public issue form.

Report damaged or missing signs on State streets and highways to NCDOT at 1-877-368-4968 or via their online request website.


Speed cushions are physical devices used along City streets to slow traffic in residential neighborhoods. Speed cushions are typically installed to reduce speed and redirect cut-through traffic. The City has adopted a policy that clearly defines the criteria for installation of these traffic calming devices. Read through our Speed Cushion brochures for more information on qualifying criteria, placement goals, funding and approvals needed.

Request for Speed Cushions                       Speed Cushion Brochure      
Speed Cushion Brochure(Spanish)             Policy